Friday, August 31, 2012

Yo, I'm 80

Image Source: FreeDigitalPhotos.net
www.freedigitalphotos.net

Making a strong declaration with a confident tone is an admirable and respectable action that isn’t done that frequently.  It extends beyond the words spoken and displays the strong conviction and belief an individual has in an idea and in themselves.  How often have you heard someone inflect their voice at the end of their speech indicating uncertainty?  I know that the latter happens far more often (see what I did there?).  So what leads people to this confident state of being where a statement can be made without feeling an ounce of doubt?

I believe that having a positive attitude regarding yourself and your position in life, whatever it may be, leads to a more confident disposition, more fulfilling experiences, and a generally happier time on this earth.  If you can embrace who you are, where you came from, and what you stand for then everything else appears to be much clearer.  It becomes easier to take risks confidently and disregard the consequences of failure.

This idea sort of revealed itself to me a few days ago at a public library.  I am currently without an internet connection in my new apartment, and so I have been venturing the hundred steps or so to the local library (great location, I know) nearly every day.  While I was using far more than my fair share of bandwidth (I have yet to obtain my library card), I noticed something.  An elderly gentleman gingerly made his way through the stacks and carefully took a seat near the Large Print shelf.  What caught my attention was the baseball cap he had on.  It was plain gray except for the baby blue lettering on the front, above the brim.  It read, “Yo, I’m 80.”

I was excited in an instant.  Here was someone that just made an incredible first impression on me by doing nothing more than feature a strong idea on his attire.  As soon as I read the enlivening expression I imagined this man saying it to someone.  I imagined him saying it as though he were brushing off some insignificant mishap, justifying his knowledge and wisdom, or just introducing himself (after an unexpected, hip handshake) and making a strong impression.  In any instance, the statement sends the message that this guy knows who he is, and he is proud of it (maybe even cocky…).

Some people might say a confident move is made when you believe what you say or do.  I realized that a true confident move occurs when you say or do what you believe.  This guy believed he and his age were awesome and he expressed it.  Once you understand yourself and acknowledge your strengths and accept your shortcomings (which you might soon turn into strengths) and take a positive view of them, you’ll know and believe yourself.  Everything you do from that point will exude confidence because it comes from the internal belief.

Who are you?  Figure it out and believe it!  Be bold!

Yo, I’m 22!

Bam.

No comments:

Post a Comment