Thursday, May 31, 2012

What You Need To Know About Your Eyes

Image Source: Graur Codrin
www.FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Eyes are everywhere.  There are two of them atop us humans.  They somehow turn light into electro-chemical signals (I’m no scientist) that are interpreted by our brain to give us vision.  They allow us to see.  Sight is very valuable and it’s important to remember a few things about it (I’ll get to those later). 

This morning I had an eye exam at 8:15 AM.  I am a morning person (crazy I know, and I don’t drink coffee either) and decided that I wanted to schedule the appointment early in the day; I was surprised and delighted to hear that the office opens at 7:00 AM (yes, they’re crazy too).

I do look pretty handsome in my glasses, but I prefer contacts and needed an eye exam in order to purchase another supply of them.  After about twenty minutes of “Qs,” “Bs,” “Cs,” and “Ss” in the patients’ leather throne I was ready to go home with my brand new prescription.  Just as I was ready to slide out of the chair, I was offered the option of pupil dilation which would allow the doctor to most effectively inspect my eyes for any problems.  I thought about it for a moment, and then agreed.  A little discomfort in order to maintain good health is definitely worth it. 

After the doctor surveyed my eyes I was free to go.  There were no problems.  As I was leaving, the doctor said, “Did you bring sunglasses?”  I replied, “Why? Do I need them.”  He answered, “You might. You might.”  As he said that he pulled a rolled up piece of dark plastic out of what appeared to be a film canister (I thought Kodak learned their lesson already).  He handed me a pair of disposable sunglasses that didn’t have temple arms!  They just unroll and stick to your face. 

As I walked outside the sun was a little overbearing and I needed the disposable protection.  I was squinting until I put the glasses on.  With them I could have played a role in the Matrix, traveled back in time and replaced Tom Cruise in Top Gun, protected the President of America, or won an international poker tournament.  Instead, I just quietly hummed Cory Hart’s 1980s hit single, Sunglasses at Night, and drove home.

Do you see what I mean?
I thought about the slight blurriness and sensitivity that the dilation caused and realized that for the most part I take for granted the ability to see.  I thought about vision and I came up with these characteristics of and things to remember about sight:

Eye Contact Is Important
Have you ever gazed into someone’s eyes before?  In that moment you feel one of the deepest connections.  It is you and them.  The rest of the world is secondary.  Some people are uncomfortable with too much eye contact, but usually because it’s with someone they don’t know very well or don’t want to know very well.  When you make eye contact, you not only connect with sight, but with soul.  I feel that through the eyes you can see who a person is and they can see who you are (which is good unless your eyes are dilated and you come off as a demon or drug addict).  Remember to give the proper amount of attention, through eye contact, to the individuals you want to be closest to. 

Right before I wrote this post I was on my bike and passed a beautiful young woman walking in the opposite direction.  We made eye contact and smiled.  About five seconds after, I turned my head back to look again, and she was doing the same.  That’s called the mutual double-take or MDT!  I know that extra moment of eye contact sent a message of interest and created a deeper connection, even if just for a moment. 

The Eyes Don’t See Everything
Spin around 360 degrees with your eyes open and there are unlimited places for your eyes to wander.  There is a lot that you can see, but a lot goes unseen.  This can either be a good thing or a bad thing.  It is bad in the sense that others may not notice some things you want them to, like writing great blog posts.  Remember to adjust for this by drawing attention to those things; wisely choose the things you want noticed and the way in which you make them seen.  Also, like the others, you won’t see everything so it is important to be as cognizant as possible. 

On the other hand, the eyes’ failure to catch things can be an advantage.  Did I spill beer all over a lady a few days into my job at a new restaurant?  Yes.  Did a lot of people in the room see it?  No.  In that particular area of the restaurant there were more people that didn’t see it than did.  People I could have sworn saw it didn’t.  Knowing this helps you to accept mistakes and move on without worrying.  If by chance a lot of people do see you make a mistake it’ll be only a matter of minutes before their mind wanders to other thoughts.

Your Eyes Connect You To The World
Sight is one of the five senses.  It is literally one of the mediums that make you realize everything around you.  The world has a lot to offer so soak it all up.  Spend some extra time looking at the sky, landscapes, sunsets, artwork, architecture, people or whatever you want.  Look from new angles for new perspectives.  Use your eyes to discover. 

Appreciate sight and use it well!

Wink, bam!

No comments:

Post a Comment