Saturday, March 31, 2012

Do You Have A Mission?

Image Source: imagerymajestic
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=3849 
What is the one thing that all organizations have in common?

They all serve some purpose.

This purpose is outlined in their respective mission statements.  These statements give each organization a focus by asserting a goal, or purpose and giving a brief description on the unique way in which the goal, or purpose will be reached.  The statement acts as a guidepost for action.

With a set mission statement, members of an organization know what they are working toward.

That is wonderful!

What about me as a PERSON though?

Have you ever wondered what you're doing and why, where your're going, and who you really are?  If you have never wondered these things, and just knew them, then you should write a book.  These questions are all related to your purpose.

A personal mission statement is something I think everyone should have, and review often.  It guides you, especially when you are unsure of things.

This past summer I sat down and constructed my own personal mission statement so that I could have something that guided me.  I look at it almost everyday and it brings everything into focus.  I recommend taking some time, and it does take some time, to carefully think about yourself and what you want and creating a mission statement.        

Mine is:

To live vibrantly, fearing nothing, exploring life's endless offerings with an open mind and heart, and embracing everything with a positive attitude.  To bring happiness to those I encounter, and maintain inner peace through moderation.

It is my approach to life.  It is my purpose, and way of living as a human.

Outline yours when you have some time; it will be worth it.

I'm not James Bond or Ethan Hunt, but I do have a mission.

You should too!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Steve been following the blog for a couple weeks now and I appreciate your priceless advice. I was hoping you might be able to provide some feedback on this mission statement I drafted:
    To always make the most out of every situation, let my heart be my guide and to love recklessly. Be my own brand and place no cap on my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only YOU can write YOUR mission statement. YOU are YOUR own CEO.
    #Dontwastestevestime #CEOSWAG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passionate Professional,

    Thank you so much for following! I'm glad my posts have benefited you. I would love to give you feedback on the mission statement you drafted.

    I like the approach you took. Your purpose appears to be: to follow your heart and be your unique, best, self regardless of the circumstances and to be limitless in your pursuits. This definitely gives you a strong purpose.

    The only wording that stood out as a potential issue is "recklessly." Disregarding consequences, as the term suggests, may not be what you want; then again, it may be. It is your own mission, and I think that it is whatever you make of it.

    All in all, I would play around with the wording, but the mission you came up with is strong. You could even add more to it.

    Let me know if you need any other help!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back Seat CEO,

    You make a good point about the mission statement being your own, and it really does need to be formulated by yourself.

    I don't mind helping though!

    If you need help, or want it, all you have to do is ask someone.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve- Thanks I will keep working on it.

    BackSeatCEO- I also appreciate YOUR input but here is some advice for YOU.
    "Refusing to ask for help when you need it is refusing someone the chance to be helpful." - Ric Ocasek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ric Ocasek is no CEO..
    #HelpYOURself

    ReplyDelete